How to translate this website
- Send me an email at ideas [at] whylinuxisbetter [dot] net to
make sure that there isn't anybody already working on this
- Choose a unique and short suffix for your language (for example, "ru"
for Russian, "ser" for Serbian). We will call this suffix "lang" for the
purpose of this tutorial.
- The code for the website itself is open source. You can find it on
GitHub and contribute
through that channel. What if you don't know how to use git or GitHub? You
can always send the files to me via email instead, but it will probably take
much more time overall.
- Make sure you use a simple text editor (for example gedit in Linux) and make sure you open and save files in the
UTF-8 encoding. With this editor, create a file called title_lang.txt at
the root of the expanded archive and place the translation of this
website's title in it.
- Go into the "items" subfolder. Here you will find a folder for
each of this website's articles. In each of them,
- Copy the index.php file to index_lang.php .
- Open this newly created file, find the places where there is
English text, and replace it by your translation (you don't need to
understand HTML or PHP, just try to keep the parts you don't understand
as they are).
- Do the same thing for files inside the "stick_to_windows" and
- At the root of the archive, copy the main index.php file to
index_lang.php. It has one line for including each of the "items":
for each of these lines, replace the empty string "" by your
language suffix with an underscore: "_lang" and translate the
title of this item.
- Send me (lmanul) a pull request on GitHub.
- See your translation appear on the website with your name on
your language's first page and get billions of thanks from me and above
all from all the people speaking the same language !!
Thanks a lot!!